This continuing education (CE) activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of women’s health nurse practitioners (NPs), adult NPs, family NPs, certified nurse midwives (CNMs), and other healthcare providers (HCPs) who care for teenagers and women.
• CE Approval Period:Now through May 31, 2018
• Estimated Time to Complete This Activity: 1 hour
• CE Approval Hours: 1.0 Contact Hour of CE Credit
APNs will know how to conduct the evaluation of women who present with infertility, as well as when to refer to an REI specialist.
As many as 15% of couples trying to conceive a child are diagnosed with infertility, defined as the inability to conceive within 1 year despite unprotected intercourse. Because advancing maternal age is a driving force in the decline in fertility, the time span in the definition may reasonably be altered to 6 months for women older than 35. Although referral to a specialist in reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI) is considered early in the assessment of infertility in women with endometriosis, tubal disease, a history of three or more spontaneous abortions, and the like, advanced practice nurses (APNs) can initiate the evaluation of women who do not have a complicated history and who have not previously tried ovulation induction medications, are anovulatory, or have PCOS. If pregnancy is not achieved after 3-6 months under the APN’s care, referral to an REI specialist is suggested.
Successful completion of the activity:
Successful completion of this activity, J-17-02, requires participants to:
1. "Sign In” at the top right hand corner of the page if you have any NPWH account. You must be signed in to receive credit for this course. If you do not remember your username or password, please follow the "Forgot Password" link and instructions on the sign-in page. If you do not have an account, please click on "Create an Account".*
2. Read the learning objectives, disclosures, and disclaimers on the next page.
3. Study the material in the learning activity during the approval period (now through May 2018).
4. Complete the post-test and evaluation. You must earn a score of 70% or better on the post-test to receive CE credit
5. Print out the CE certificate if successfully completed.
You must be signed in to access this course. You can sign in at the top right-hand corner of the page.
*If you are an NPWH member, were once a member, or have taken CE activities with NPWH in the past, you have a username and password in our system. Please DO NOT create a new account. Creation of multiple accounts could result in loss of CE credits as well as other NPWH services. If you do not remember your username or password, please either click on the "forgot username" or "forgot password" links above or call the NPWH office at (202) 543-9693 ext. 1.