This continuing education (CE) activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of women’s health nurse practitioners (NPs), adult NPs, family NPs, certified nurse midwives (CNMs), and other advanced practice clinicians who care for teenagers and women.
• CE Approval Period:Now through September 30, 2017
• Estimated Time to Complete This Activity: 1 hour
• CE Approval Hours: 1.0 Contact Hour of CE Credit, including 1.0 Contact Hour of Pharmacology
NPs will be fully informed about LARC, recommend them to reproductive-aged females who want the most effective method of reversible birth control available, and know how to create a LARC-friendly practice.
Of the 6.1 million pregnancies in the United States each year, 45% are unintended—either mistimed (27%) or unwanted (18%). Ninety-five percent of unintended pregnancies occur in females who do not use contraceptives (54%) or who use them inconsistently (41%). These unintended pregnancies may end in abortion (42%) or birth (58%), both of which have socioeconomic, fiscal, and health-related consequences. Births resulting from unintended or closely spaced pregnancies can have a variety of adverse maternal and child health outcomes. Furthermore, females who have children before they are ready are less likely to reach their educational, career, financial, and/or family-related goals. Unintended pregnancies can be avoided by correct and consistent use of a birth control method. Among all reversible methods, those that require the least amount of effort by the user have been demonstrated to be the most effective at pregnancy prevention. The authors discuss long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARC), the most effective reversible birth control methods on the market.
Successful completion of the activity:
Successful completion of this activity, J-16-03, requires participants to:
1. "Sign In” at the top right hand corner of the page if you have any NPWH account. You must be signed in to receive credit for this course. If you do not remember your username or password, please follow the "Forgot Password" link and instructions on the sign-in page. If you do not have an account, please click on "Create an Account".*
2. Read the learning objectives, disclosures, and disclaimers on the next page.
3. Check “Agree to Terms” on the next page and then click the "Continue" button.
4. Study the material in the learning activity during the approval period (now through September 2017).
5. Complete the post-test and evaluation. You must earn a score of 70% or better on the post-test to receive CE credit
6. Print out the CE certificate if successfully completed.
You must be signed in to access this course. You can sign in at the top right-hand corner of the page.
*If you are an NPWH member, were once a member, or have taken CE activities with NPWH in the past, you have a username and password in our system. Please DO NOT create a new account. Creation of multiple accounts could result in loss of CE credits as well as other NPWH services. If you do not remember your username or password, please either click on the "forgot username" or "forgot password" links above or call the NPWH office at (202) 543-9693 ext. 1.