Intended audience: This continuing education (CE) activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of women’s health nurse practitioners (NPs), adult NPs, family NPs, certified nurse midwives (CNMs), and other healthcare providers (HCPs) who care for women.
CE approval period: Now through June 30, 2021
Estimated time to complete this activity: 1 hour
CE approval hours: 1.0 contact hour of CE credit, including 1.0 contact hour of pharmacology content
Goal statement: HCPs will increase their clinical skills in the evaluation and nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic management of patients presenting with sleep problems.
Needs assessment: Among adults in the United States, about 30% have symptoms of insomnia on occasion and 6%-10% have chronic insomnia meeting DSM-V criteria, including the all-important element of dissatisfaction with one’s sleep. Insomnia is more common in women than in men, in older adults than in younger adults, and in persons affected by co-morbid physical or mental health conditions than in persons in the general population. Chronic insomnia, defined as insomnia lasting longer than 3 months, has many adverse effects on daily functioning, health, and quality of life. HCPs who provide primary care to women need to inquire about sleep problems and understand the many treatment options available to women with impaired sleep.
Successful completion of the activity: Successful completion of this activity, J-19-02, requires participants to:
- “Sign In” at the top right-hand corner of the page if you have any NPWH account. You must be signed in to receive credit for this course. If you do not remember your username or password, please follow the “Forgot Password” link and instructions on the sign-in page. If you do not have an account, please click on “Create an Account.”*
- Read the learning objectives, disclosures, and disclaimers on the next page.
- Study the material in the learning activity during the approval period (now through June 30, 2021).
- Complete the post-test and evaluation. You must earn a score of 70% or better on the post-test to receive CE credit.
- Print out the CE certificate if successfully completed.
*If you are an NPWH member, were once a member, or have taken CE activities with NPWH in the past, you have a username and password in our system. Please do not create a new account. Creation of multiple accounts could result in loss of CE credits as well as other NPWH services. If you do not remember your username or password, please either click on the “Forgot Username” or “Forgot Password” link above or call the NPWH office at (202) 543-9693, ext. 1.